Introduction



Thanks for visiting my page. To help with navigation, here is a list of popular pages all about Marching in Colour

* The History of Marching In Colour - who is the man behind the words and service, how did it all come about

* Commissioning Models for Painting - how the process works, start to finish, and what you can expect

* Gallery of Artists Work - with over 20 years experience, here is a small sample of finished commissions

* ITEMS FOR SALE - as well as painting models, I also sell pre-painted models and assorted loose models and scenery on Etsy and Ebay. Links here!

* Trade in your old models for Painting Credit * click here for details

* To see details of all current commissions booked-in and estimated completion dates - click here

SCENERY and TERRAIN - for pre-made, handcrafted items of scenery and terrain, please click here

For TUTORIALS please follow this link - click here


Wednesday 8 August 2012

Painting 6mm Carthage Punic Wars, Citizen Infantry

Models: Baccus 6mm, ACA1 Carthage Citizen Infantry

Every now and then I get an email with a question about 6mm, be it my commission rates for painting this scale or for tips and advice on painting, and when I see that dreaded number I am reminded of my love/hate relationship with 6mm. In particular my unpainted Carthaginian Army sat patiently waiting in my collection to be finished to face off against my glorious Romans...

After painting and basing about 9zillion Romans I couldn’t face any more and the project got sidelined. In this article I return once more to 6mm, and to the Carthaginian Citizen Infantry.



The Undercoat and Armour
Undercoating 6mm can be a little tricky at times. The most important part is patience, especially when picking up areas that didn’t get the paint they needed. A missed area on a 28mm model can easily be sorted with a dab of black, the same technique can destroy the detail of a 6mm model. Any areas that I miss with the initial undercoat I paint with a fine brush.


A liberal dry brush is then used on the armour. Its impossible not miss arms, faces, weapons etc when dry-brushing 6mm, so I tend to use a lighter than normal technique, not as heavy on the paint.


Flesh and detail
When I paint 6mm I find small dabs on paint on the edge of the brush works well with very small line strokes. In many cases, like the models face, a simple dab of paint is enough. For larger areas, an arm, or a spear, paint a very very small line.



Shading and Highlighting

I find it almost impossible to shade on 6mm, but a method I do find that works, is to use colours a few steps more away from each other than you normally would use. For example on a 28mm model if I was painting 'white' I would use a very light grey, almost white, as a base coat. In contrast when painting white on a 6mm I would use a darkish shade of grey.

Hopefully the shields show this technique.



Thanks for reading.
Chris

I found this brief photo of my Romans, thought I would share it. Its an old photo and the Army is well over twice that size now!

No comments:

Post a Comment